While recycling is a great thing to do, it is even better to try and reduce the waste we produce in the first place and reuse as much as we possibly can.
The best way of dealing with waste is to simply create less. By doing this we reduce the amount of material that needs to be reprocessed or disposed of, and make a positive impact on our environment.
- Become a food waste reducer - throw less away and save money!
- Be a smart shopper - choose to buy products with less packaging (like loose fruit and vegetables), and only buy products with packaging you know can be recycled.
- Buy items that you know you can reuse again and again - anything from real nappies to rechargeable batteries.
- Avoid unwanted junkmail by signing up to the mail preference service - you can call them on 0845 7034599 or visit them online.
- Compost fruit and vegetable peelings at home.
Inevitably, even the most committed recyclers still produce waste. Try to reuse as much as possible before you throw something away or put it in the recycling bin.
- Repair old electrical items
- Donate old clothes, toys, books, music and furniture to a local charity shop
- Invest in some reusable shopping bags - and remember to take them with you when you go shopping!
- Reuse packaging, such as plastic drinks bottles again and again.