What can I recycle at my local HWRC?
A wide range of materials can be recycled at the Smallmead and Longshot Lane HWRCs, including:
- Glass bottles
- Glass jars
- Gas bottles (restrictions apply - see the Waste Acceptance Policy for full details)
- Paper (inc. card, magazines, envelopes (with or without the window) and books)
- Plastic bottles
- Food tins and cans (metal and alloy)
- Used engine oil
- Car batteries
- Domestic batteries
- Household light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- Printer cartridges
- All textiles and shoes (but not duvets or pillows)
- Books and CDs DVD´s, video cassettes
- Garden waste
- All grades of wood (inc. painted, treated, chipboard and MDF)
- White goods (fridges, freezers, microwaves, stereo´s, irons)
- Scrap metal
- Soil and rubble
- Electronic products (TV´s, computers, printers, radios)
- Cooking Oil
- Car tyres
- Electrical wire
- Household items / furniture (mattresses, sofas, cupboards, kitchen wall tiles, floor tiles)
- Children´s toys
- Household chemicals
- Garden chemicals
There are limits to the amounts of certain types of waste that can be recycled at the HWRCs so please download the Waste Acceptance Policy Leaflet for more information.
If you require assistance - please ask.
Staff are here to help you and all members of staff are trained in manual handling techniques and have been instructed to only lift items of weight and dimension that do not put their health and safety at risk.
Therefore staff may not be able to help you unload large or awkward items.
We hope you appreciate and support our efforts to ensure that the health and safety of our staff, who are serving your local community, is protected.